My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a tough one to rate, but we're always honest in our reviews. Couldn't rank it a five star. But we couldn't rate it a two star either because this book wasn't a terrible read. We'll begin with the reasons.
1. The pace. This book started out with a lot of action. We're given a strong, emotional opening and all of a sudden the action comes to a screeching halt. It also seemed as if some of the scenes in the book didn't really move the story forward. This is why we just couldn't seem to really get into this book and stay there. Until well past the half-way point, the story was predictable. The H saves the h from a bad guy. H and h fight their attraction to each other. Wash, rinse, repeat until the story finally began to propel forward.
2. Couldn't connect with the characters. We really, really tried to care about the H and h but despite the effort, it just didn't happen. Maybe it was due to the ruthlessness that comes with a mafia setting. Mafia romance isn't something that we normally read, so maybe it's all on us.
3. It wasn't clear why the h despised the H early in the story. h even admitted that H was a mystery to her...therefore, how could she instantly decide that she hated him? There was really no reason for h to keep fighting her attraction to H. It's almost as if this was built into the story line solely to build tension, but the angst/resistance just fell flat for us.
The reasons we couldn't give the book a two star:
1. The book was well written. Pushing aside the slow pace, H did go through a bit of a change...this is character development. Good job.
2. The cover art was great. The graphics on the inner matter of the book were good too. There were no grammar/editing issues. The writing wasn't juvenile. (many new authors often struggle with this.) It was apparent this author put time, money and pride into producing a good product for her readers. Good job and thank you, S.C. Ellen.
3. Good plotting.
4. We got a sweet happy ever after ending.
S.C. Ellen has talent, but we most likely wouldn't chose another mafia romance.
Voluntarily read this book for the purpose of a review.
View all my reviews
Title: Irrevocably Shattered
Author: S.C. Ellen
Genre: Dark Romance
Release Date: March 20, 2020
My soul was damned from the start. No amount of repentance could save it, and it would be a sick joke to even try.
There was no god for me. There was only hell. A hell I’ve grown well accustomed to because of the savage hand life had dealt me.
My fate was sealed long before I sold it to the La Cosa Nostra. Violence and destruction were all I ever knew. All I ever craved. It was what fueled the monster inside of me that embodied my soul, and left countless of men at my mercy.
I knew there would come a time when I finally had to pay for all of the vengeful sins I committed. Too bad that it had to be her that paid the price.
He was my fathers second in command.
Sent for the sole purpose of protecting me from our enemies.
I didn't know it then, but it wasn't our enemies I would need saving from... it was from him that I did. He captured the only thing my enemies couldn't steal -my heart, and by my father's standards that was a crime punishable by death in the eyes of the Italian Mafia.
It wasn't a matter of if we'd get caught, it was a matter of when, but who would dare try to save me from a man that had nothing left to lose? And did I truly want to be saved?
S.C. Ellen is from a small town right outside of Detroit, Michigan. She loves all things mafia related and uses her love for old films and even older music to influence everything she writes. When she’s not writing, she’s either playing with her beloved Yorkie or has her face stuck in a book with a nice glass of wine to accompany it.
Her writing consists of bada** alpha males and headstrong female leads with major plot twists that will leave you in tears, or on the edge of your seat. She believes strongly that the darker the book, the better the read, so warning labels are always advised!