Thursday, April 9, 2020

Review of When the Vows Break by Janie De Coster

When The Vows BreakWhen The Vows Break by Janie De Coster
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well, I can definitely say that I don't know WHAT to say about this book. The reason? I found this title in a Christian Romance group on Facebook. But what I read definitely wasn't a Christian Romance. This is best described as a dark romance with cheating going on among a group of church leaders. And if you're a true Christian then you already know that cheating is anything but Christ like. Especially among church leaders.

And if sleeping around with other people wasn't disturbing enough, the Pastor (Sidney Teal), his wife (Olivia), and other faithful church attenders (Yasmin and Amber-Rose) used profanity in their conversations. But to the author's defense, I understand that this is only fiction AND if a pastor is going to cheat, well, I guess profanity goes along with his true character.

One thing I would like to say about this book is that the author definitely stuck to writing what was on her heart, and as an author I respect that. If De Coster truly thought she was crafting a Christian Romance, she left the 'safe/clean writing zone' that this genre normally calls for. De Coster put her words out there for the world to read despite any potential criticism. This is the reason I gave this title three stars instead of two.

The ending was very abrupt. Too bad it didn't include a repentance scene from each character where we could see each person go before the Lord and repent of their sins. We could see a wonderful moment of re dedication no matter how their lives turned out after their 'screw-ups'.

After all, the road to Jesus Christ is never pretty, clean and smooth. It's ugly, full of heartbreak and destruction. We get forgiveness for EVERYTHING and this is what makes our savior, Jesus Christ SO powerful!

The last point I'd like to make is the 'brand name' dropping. At times I was pulled out of the story when the characters would shop for clothes...the constant reminders of Jimmy Choo shoes or Ralph Lauren polo shirts. LOL I suppose the author likes brand name clothes. But yes, I'll probably check out De Coster's other titles anyway.

My rating: THREE STARS!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Practical advice and activities that you can use to heal the wounds of the past so you can enjoy a brighter future full of joy, healthy re...