Saturday, March 7, 2020

Review: A Debt Owed by Clarissa Wild

A Debt Owed (The Debt Duet, #1)A Debt Owed by Clarissa Wild
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Yes, no, maybe so.

Yes, no, maybe so.

Yes, no, maybe so!

This was a roller coaster read that I picked from the Clarissa Wild catalog because I loved reading her other title, Under His Rule. However, A Debt Owed was a totally different story...totally different everything. I pushed through several chapters before I could decide if I could truly finish it.

TROUBLE IN MY BOOK PARADISE

Well, at least I thought this story would be paradise. The trouble was that I had a tough time connecting with the characters. Easton was only a squeak more likable than Charlotte, who was spoiled and entitled to the best things in life little princess. Thankfully, Easton was from a humble working class background...it's easier to overlook the fact that he was just a plain ole butt.

Another issue was the reason Easton bought/took/stole/blackmailed Charlotte from her father. I don't really know what to call it because Charlotte kept saying she was kidnapped, when in fact, she wasn't kidnapped. In the days of the #MeToo Movement, this was a hard pill to swallow. No one could get away with selling their daughter to pay a debt. And it's not possible for the creditor to keep said daughter a prisoner. Especially, a fiery, feisty one like Charlotte. Her annoying ways would push anybody to throw her out the window.

Another thing that didn't gel was the reason for Easton's father's death. Easton claimed that his dad passed away because he was overworked due to Charlotte's father's determination to keep Easton away from her.

TAKE YOUR MEDS: E-MOTION SICKNESS STRAIGHT AHEAD

Up and down. In and out. Ugh. Easton's emotions bobbled between lust, possessiveness, and something that resembled love. Charlotte's emotions teetered between hatred and revenge, dashing any hopes of the two becoming a civil couple. By the time my dizziness subsided, I truly didn't care what happened between them!

(Yes, yes, I remember this is fiction).

WHY DIDN'T I COUNT THIS STORY A DNF?

Dark romance is Wild's niche, so I held out through the rest of the book. I wouldn't describe the read as a waste of time, but I know Clarissa Wild has better stories out there.

KILLER CLIFFY

Ohhhh, what a gut wrenching cliffhanger. Luckily the second book is available (if or when I decide to get it). The cracks in the hardened emotional shells of both main characters hold a glimmer of promise.

Clarissa Wild is a master of the unconventional HEA ending and that's enough promise for me. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Practical advice and activities that you can use to heal the wounds of the past so you can enjoy a brighter future full of joy, healthy re...