Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Review: Under His Rule

Under His RuleUnder His Rule by Clarissa Wild
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's not a love story wrapped in pretty paper.

It's not sugar and spice and everything nice...

You won't find boy meets girl then they run to the altar and make babies...

Thank goodness for dark romance!

Call me twisted. Call me weird. Call me whatever you want, but this read was everything I look for in this genre.

Finding love in real life isn't always a bed of roses. Sometimes people end up with an unlikely person in an unlikely situation. So, why should fiction be any different? I'm SO glad Clarissa Wild understands this.

Getting a book by an author I'm not familiar with is risky, but in this case I got darn lucky. This won't be my last read by Wild.

The love scenes left nothing to the imagination. (not something I'm crazy about). But this isn't 99 cent smut. This book told a real story and contained a plot. It wasn't a 15 page rip off to get readers to buy the next 15 books in a series only to force them to wait six months between releases.

However, I must add, that some of the language didn't appeal to me. The F bomb was abundantly used and another word I despise too, but like I said, this ain't a sweet romance.

The author hooked the reader with a juicy mystery. Natalie sees on online article with a picture of a man who should be familiar to her...but not as familiar as the tattoo on his hand. His body art matches a symbol on a scarf that Natalie, now a woman, has had since early childhood. Natalie was raised in an orphanage and her only memories of her mother came in bits and pieces.

Natalie decided to seek out the tattooed man. Unfortunately, this ambition lead her straight into a dangerous situation...a prison...a creepy cult called 'The Family'.

Ohhh, this reminded me of a real life Jim Jones cult...'The People's Temple'. Creepy, indeed.

Natalie doesn't know the specifics, but the mysterious tattooed man was the ultimate alpha with designs on her. Unbeknownst to Natalie, she belonged to him and he'll stop at nothing to have her.

Natalie was every feminist's dream of a character. She's strong, brash and much too brave for her own good. At times she was a bit of a brat, actually. But when you're forced into The Family with its rigid rules and ruthless punishments, I suppose those qualities can be a positive if they don't land you in a concrete cell.

There's hate, hurt, sexual tension and suspense. There's an alpha who always gets what he wants and despite the book's cliffhanger ending, there's no doubt he'll get it. No matter how many books Wild has to write to satisfy the reader, I'm certain we'll get our answers and plenty of thrills along the way.

I just have one request: Please DON'T make this a five book series!!!

There were so many more things I'd love to share about this story, but I don't want to spoil it. Do I recommend it? YES. Will I anxiously be awaiting the next installment? YES!!!!!

My rating is an Extra Shot of Espresso = FOUR STARS





View all my reviews

1 comment:

  Practical advice and activities that you can use to heal the wounds of the past so you can enjoy a brighter future full of joy, healthy re...